World Junior Championships
- Jamie Lundmark and team Canada faced off against team USA today in the Quarter Finals. Lundmark scored the game winning goal to defeat the USA 2-1 and advance to the Semi-finals. While on the Power Play, Lundmark took a cross-ice feed from Dany Heatley, and then roofed the puck into the net to eventually win the game for Canada and eliminate the USA’s chances at winning a medal. Jamie also played aggressive throughout the game, as he picked up 4 penalty minutes (2 for an unsportsmanlike conduct and 2 for slashing). Lundmark currenlty has 6 points (4 goals, 2 assists) and 6 penalty minutes in 5 games so far. He is tied for 1st on the team in points with forward Mike Cammalleri and also leads everyone in the tournament in face-offs, with a 70.13 winning percentage. Canada faces off against team Finland in the semi-finals in their next game. The Canadians and Finns tied 2-2 earlier in the tournament.
- Pavel Brendl and the Czech Republic squared off against team Switzerland today in a quarter-final game. Brendl was the star for the Czech’s as he scored 2 goals, including the game winner, in their 4-3 victory over the Swiss. Brendl currently has 9 points (4 goals, 5 assists) and 4 penalty minutes in 5 games so far. He leads the Czech Republic and the whole tournament with his 9 points. The Czech Republic, last year’s gold-medal winner, is currently undefeated in the 5 games they have played. Brendl and the Czech Republic will have to go up against Rangers prospect Henrik Lundqvist and team Sweden in the semi-finals.
- Sven Helfenstein was held scoreless as Switzerland loss to the Czech Republic today 4-3. Switzerland is now eliminated from a chance at winning a medal. Through 5 games, Helfenstein had 2 goals and 2 penalty minutes. .
- Henrik Lundqvist and the Swedes pulled off one of the biggest upsets in years as they defeated the gold-medal favorite Russians by a score of 3-2. Lundqvist was outstanding in goal and if it wasn’t for him, Russia would have won. Lundqvist made 27 saves, including a couple spectacular ones during the game. Sweden advances to the Semi-finals, as Henrik Lundqvist and the rest of the team will look to shut down the Czech Republic.
- The extent of the injury suffered by Tim Taylor Sunday night in Dallas is unknown, thus the Rangers recalled Manny Malhotra from the Hartford Wolf Pack of the AHL. Malhotra will take Taylor’s spot in the lineup if he is unable to go against the Phoenix Coyotes on Thursday. I hope Malhotra stays with the Rangers for good.